Debugging sound, where do I start?

Hi,

I am using Debian Woody <kernel 2.4.18> and I can get sound to work but if
I enable sound by loading the modules at boot the sound daemon hangs the
box <Thinkpad 1400, won't even respond to ping, can't kill X, can't get
another console>.  My guess is that this happens when either esd <gnome>
or arts <kde> load their sound managing utilities.

I have tried with both ALSA and the kernel sound modules.  Same result.
How would I go about tracking down where the problem stems from?

My sound card is a Yamaha <isapnp says Yamaha OPL3SAx>.

tia

--
Luc Lefebvre                                 o
                                            /`-'

Key fingerprint = D2E5 5E35 B910 6F4E 0242  EC63 0FD9 96D0 C7F4 784E