Re: pipe attachments in mutt

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 10:10:37AM +0000, Glyn Kennington wrote:
> Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> > now, i occassionally get pdf files as attachments. i thouht if i 'pipe' the attachment to
> > xpdf, i will be able to see the attachment.
> >
> > so, while i am in attachments screen (by pressing v), i press | and for command, i type
> > xpdf.
> >
> > the xpdf program opens up. but empty. what is it that i am doing that is wrong?
>
> xpdf won't read files from standard input, so it is being called without any
> arguments, and opens up empty.
>
> > what do i need to do so that the desired application will open with the attachment?
>
> xpdf has the correct mailcap entries that it should start automatically if
> you ask mutt to ``view-attach''.  This command is (by default) bound to
> <Return> when you're in the attachments screen.

okay. i tried that. no luck. it opens a text reader with a lot of irrelevant characters.
could you possibly tell me more about mailcap entries?

moreover, is there a more generalized way of handling attachments? for instance, if the
attachment is of type pdf, open xpdf with that attachment and if the attachment is of type
mp3, open xmms with that attachment, etc.

i will like to use | to change this default behavious. for instance, if i want to open an
mp3 file not with xmms but with mpg321, i will like to pipe it to mpg321 etc

any suggestions??

thanx again

sandip p deshmukh