Manual ldconfig required HELP!!!

I've been stupid...

My gcc broke, giving me unresolved-symbol linker errors eg. about
atexit in crt1.o when compiling a hello-world.

I guessed this was due to me "dpkg -i"ing libc6-2.2.5 and overriding
dependencies cos I was fed up. So I thought I'd uninstall it and
reinstall my original one (2.0.7.19981211-6) from the Debian 2.1
install CD.

dpkg pulled it out ok. I told it to override dependencies here too,
since the very next thing I was going to do was reinstall the original
version.

I didn't bargain for every single thing on the machine breaking before
I could reinstall...

I can't even reboot - kernel panics cos it can't find init. Presumably
it means it can't load it properly, since /sbin/init is still there.
Passing init=/sbin/init doesn't help.

I can boot using my install CD, unpack the .deb manually and copy *.so
to /usr/lib. But of course ldconfig is broken too, so I can't tell the
machine its libraries are back.

Please can someone tell me how to do ldconfig's job by hand...

Pigeon