Re: UNIX shells - Bourne and C

bp writes:
> After doing some research, I found out that ash is a clone of a bourne
> shell from BSD. I was using this last night and I really couldn't find
> anything that differs from the real shell.

What do you mean by the "real" shell?  Do you realize that the Bourne shell
has not remained compatible with itself over time?

> I'm sure they are right because I'm reading about it and it says that
> bourne shell scripts are the best since they run faster than C.

Ignore whoever said that.  In any case, when writing shell scripts you
should use only POSIX features as only they are portable.  Ash is good for
testing portability of scripts as it is about as strictly POSIX as it gets.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org