Re: UNIX shells - Bourne and C

On Sat, 2002-11-09 at 20:17, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 06:19:53PM -0500, Bruce Park wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Just wanted to know, does debian linux include the Bourne and C shell? In
> > redhat, they are a symbolic link to bash and tcsh respectively.
>
> Bash is the de-facto standard shell on Linux, and it's designed to be
> Bourne-compatible.  There's also ash, a port of the NetBSD Bourne-shell.
> I think zsh also intends to be Bourne-compatible.
>
> On the csh side, you have tcsh as well as (as far as I can tell) the
> original csh.
>
> As always, apt-cache search is your friend.
>
> -rob

Should have tagged this onto a message that actually made the comment,
but I read those when I was ready to head off to bed, and they've now
wander into and through the email trash folder, but:

I remember days some 20 years ago when nearly all scripting on the
system I worked with was done in csh rather than Bourne shell - even the
scripts I wrote up: 4.2 BSD, which only had four shells available: the
original Bourne shell from AT&T Bell Labs, csh, the Tenex
re-implementation of the csh (tcsh, which proved to be rather buggy),
and Iain! D Allen's re-write of the Tenex csh to fix the bugs and extend
it to some features that he and others in the Math Faculty Computing
Facility (MFCF) at the University of Waterloo wanted (itcsh) - Iain!'s
office was a few doors down the hall from mine.

Anyhow, in that environment of 20 years ago, csh, tcsh and itcsh were
the only ways to get beyond the limitations of the original Bourne
shell, and was something of a de facto standard, at least until the
arrival of the Korn shell, Perl, and many other scripting systems in the
times since. The attitude of the time was an anticipation that the
Bourne shell would likely be superceded - it was around for those
running strictly System V systems.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org