ssh port forwarding

OK, got Woody working on the laptop.

Now I seem to be having difficulty getting ssh port
forwarding from the home machine to the woody laptop.

Works fine forwarding port 143 from the home machine
to port 143 on this winbox using Putty.

On the laptop I'm using the ssh command line:

ssh root@home-machine -R 143:localhost:143

I also tried 1143 as the second port argument thinking maybe
I couldn't use a privileged port locally as non root.

It still doesn't seem to be working. My Sylpheed setup pointed
at localhost doesn't see my IMAP folders. Ideas?