Re: Disk boot failure

On 09 Nov 2002 14:11:05 +0100, Helgi Örn <gnu4u@telia.com> wrote:

>Hello Debians!
>
>I'm stuck in deep trouble. I want to put Debian on an old box I got. The
>box got 2 harddisks, pri. master 1707MB and pri. slave 1083MB. When I
>try to boot it it gives me: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND
>PRESS ENTER
>No matter what kind of a boot floppy I give it or how I mix the drive
>connections, nothing seems to work.
>The BIOS does detect the floppy and the hd's and the system runs the
>memory test at bootup, spins the floppy, the BIOS system configuration
>table and then the message above. The BIOS is a Award Modular BIOS
>v4.50PG
>
>Grateful for all the tips and help I can get.
>
>All the best,
>Helgi Örn

You haven't got a bootable partition on the hard drive, and it sounds
like your BIOS is set to boot from the hard drive and not the floppy.

Go into BIOS Setup (press DEL when booting) and make sure that the
boot sequence (can't remember the exact name and I don't want to
reboot right now!) is set to A:, C:. Then you should be able to boot
from a boot floppy.

Pigeon