pppd problem

Hello all!
At last I successfully installed my modem (beta) drivers (dawned internal modems) and the kppp application to get into the internet...BUT,  after the number is dialled it comes up an error: the problem (it says) is with the ppp daemon that interrupts suddenly the link because of an anexpected error (code 1). I typed man pppd to see the meaning of the error code 1 and it was no so helpful, telling about a missing system call and something like that. Does someone have an idea about what to do?? I'd like to connect to the internet,really.
Thanks
Emanuele