Re: public lending right

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 10:05:11PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Acroread is broken in sid, currently.  I'd love to see something that
> works as well as acroread is supposed to, with a mozilla plugin, but
> isn't acroread.  Is xpdf still a bit gimpy or is it a suitable
> replacement, now?  If it is a suitable replacement, this is good news,
> acroread never worked as well as advertised, even under Windows.

Apparently the new version of AcroRead (5.0?) has a license too non-Free
even for non-Free.  The xpdf maintainer seems to be very eager to
improve xpdf to the point where it can completely replace Adobe's
viewer, so maybe you could send him broken documents, etc?

> mplayer is a good start on a realplayer, The Playa and Windows Media
> Player replacement.

AFAIK, mplayer still requires realplayer to be installed to do anything
with real(audio|video) streams.

> It works exceptionally well.  However, adding non-free codecs is
> non-trivial.  I wish that this package would have

Using Windows DLL's (at least) seem to be as easy as dropping them in
/usr/lib/win32/ and restart mplayer.  But which formats still require
non-Free decoders (aside from Real, of course)?

> something going for it similar to how CSS is (used?) to be installed:
> If you installed a dvd player, it would prompt you that if you wanted
> to install decss, you'd have to run a seperate script that would wget
> a custom deb and install it.  Something like this should be done for
> the non-free codecs that mplayer can use.

I'm sure it will be, once mplayer actually makes it into Debian.  There
_still_ seems to be license problems, sadly...

-rob