Re: encrypting a single file

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 05:28:34PM -0800, Jeff wrote:

> > > emacs asks for the "encryption key", so I enter the passphrase,
> > > because if I hit "return to ignore" is see the scrambled data.  After
> > > entering the passphrase, emacs reports "Searching for program: no such
> > > file or directory, crypt".
> >
> > Did you make gpg key and made available in your home directory in their
> > default location with proper permission.  (~/.gnupg/ exist?)
>
> However, I have not generated a key pair.  Do I need that to
> encyrpt/decrypt local files?

That's odd; gpg -c is supposed to just use a symmetric cipher and (I
would assume, since it's otherwise pointless) not require a DSA or RSA
keypair.

rob@thebox> echo "This is text." > /tmp/a
rob@thebox> gpg -c /tmp/a

Creates it just fine

rob@thebox> dtemacs /tmp/a&

Opens it up just fine, when I provide the correct password.  I do have a
public/private keypair though.

-rob