Re: recover ext3 deletion

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Johnson" <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 22:16
Subject: Re: recover ext3 deletion

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 03:58:52PM -0800, nate wrote:
>> I too am very bad at backing up my personal data, I do back it up
>> but its not often(maybe once or twice a year). Now that I have a DAT
>> drive I may start doing it more often though.

> If you're bad at making backups, or don't have the means to do so, I
> suggest you have TMPTIME in /etc/default/rcS set to 7, and have
> tmpreaper installed.  Instead of deleting things, move them to /tmp.
> The files will automatically be deleted in a week assuming nobody
> touches them.

I went googling and found a utility I had set up when I was first
playing with slackware years ago. It's called safedelete and creates a
"trashcan" like wrapper around 'rm'. I don't see it packaged anywhere
and the .rpm's I found while goggling seem to have been created sometime
in the year 2000 -- the link I provide below indicates a tgz version
from 2001.

http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/linux/utils/shell/

http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/linux/utils/shell/safedelete-1.3b.lsm

Begin4
Title: SafeDelete - safely delete and undelete files
Version: 1.3b
Entered-date: 30MAY01
             the rm command.  Files which are removed with the
safedelete
             command can be recovered with the undelete command.
             Version 1.3b fixes various bugs and adds a few features.
             There are also two new commands: 1) undeltk provides
             a Tcl/Tk interface to the undelete command and 2) undelsh
             provides a shell interface (runs under bash and ksh only).
             Also updated the Makefiles for the various platforms.
             If you are currently using safedelete 1.3a you can upgrade
             to 1.3b directly (issue safedelete --version to see
version).
             SunOS locking code provided by Alexandar Howard - thanx!!