Re: networking woes with 2.4 kernel

Donald R. Spoon wrote:
I took a peek at your "troubleshooting.txt" file and it seems to me that when you tried inserting the 8139too module in step 24 it suceeded, but the IRQ of 19 is a bit "weird"to me.

Just for grins, and to complete all the basic stuff, could you check in your BIOS and make sure that the "PnP OS" setting is set to "off" or "no", whichever selection you have? I have seen this produce some very weird IRQ settings on this chipset here when it is set to "yes".

Both excellent ideas! I could easily see a mis-identified IRQ causing the transmit timeout errors, since the driver wouldn't know that the chip had finished transmitting. I'll check tonight. I don't have a 2.2 kernel on the box at the moment, but I should be able to check what WinME is using and maybe use a Debian network install disk with a 2.2 kernel to find out what 2.2 is seeing.

Now that I think if it, I don't remember switching the PnP setting in the BIOS for this motherboard, so that could certainly be the problem.

- Jeff