Installing KDE=crashing Gnome?

Hi -- I have an interesting problem:

(1) I had Woody / KDM / (KDE/Gnome/TWM). I decided to upgrade KDE, since the old version crashed anyhow on my own user name.
  (2) I deinstalled KDE
  (3) I upgraded Woody to Sid.  (meanwhile using Gnome and KDM)
(4) I installed KDE 3.0.4 through dselect. Since the KDE package that is listed (from the KDE site) is KDE 2.2.4 (an error, perhaps?) , I selected all the 3.0.4 components by hand: kdelibs, kdebase, kde admin, etc.. To select the KDE metapackage actually deselects all the uptodate items.
  (5) I started to install KOffice, resulting in spectacular crash of
my entire X server. Gnome is now defunct. I can bring up X with "startx", but that's it. (6) If I try to run gdm (also an option, but not preferred), it brings up the logon page, but any time I try to log on with anything but "safe Xterm", it crashes and restarts the logon process. (I can use the Xterm to type shutdown -r now... probably could kill some processes instead) (7) trying to help the install process along, I noticed that it was saying that it needed "libopencdk0" to run the cupsys package (libopencdk1 apparently doesn't cut it), so I downloaded the file into /home/public, and ran
  "dpkg --install ./libopencdk0_0.2.deb".
Now I'm seeing on dselect "dpkg --admin dir /var/lib/dpkg -iGROEB /home/Public", which may not be appropriate. I'm also seeing nothing about any KDE

Okay, so there's my plate of spaghetti, and I probably am going to have to lie in it. But can anybody give me some hints on the horrible job I'm doing of massacring my system? I really like the way Windows just takes a system down all at once, or alternatively progressively makes it crawl, until nothing works. (Debian just isn't up to that it seems, it offers me too much hope... if worst comes to worst I can deinstall and reinstall the entire system, and still keep all my data -- but it seems a pain.)

   - Mike