parted - compilation problems

I'm running Woody and attempting to compile the latest parted
(1.6.3)

I get the following ./configure error

checking for uuid_generate in -luuid... no
configure: error: GNU Parted requires libuuid - a part of the e2fsprogs
package (but sometimes distributed separately in uuid-devel or similar)
This can probably be found on your distribution's CD or FTP site or at:
         http://web.mit.edu/tytso/www/linux/e2fsprogs.html
Note: if you are using precompiled packages you will also need the development
package as well (which may be called e2fsprogs-devel or something similar).
If you compile e2fsprogs yourself then you need to do 'make install' and
'make install-libs'.

However, searching for the library gives the following.
bob@debian:/usr/local/src/parted-1.6.3$ sudo ldconfig -p | grep libuuid
        libuuid.so.1 (libc6) => /lib/libuuid.so.1

Note I have not much experience using these tools.

Nor could I find any e2fsprogs-devel in the packages selection list.

What to do please?

Bob