Re: address book for mutt

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 09:08:02AM -0500, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> -- Jonathan Matthews <jaycee.stuff.your.spam@jaycee.uklinux.net> wrote
> (on Friday, 08 November 2002, 01:40 PM +0000):
> > Look at abook for a simple addressbook written for mutt.  Its manpage
> > says that it can use the --convert option to import different formats,
> > including csv files.
> >
> > It's not graphical, flash, fancy, and doesn't use the mouse, but it
> > works - sort of like mutt, in that respect :-)
> >
> > Also, take a look at the lbdb package - it might be of interest to you.
> > I don't use it personally (yet), but have heard good things about it
> > from others on this list.
>
> I have my addresses on a Palm, and use jpilot to sync to my debian box.
> I use lbdb to grab that database, and thus I can use it with mutt.
>
> lbdb has quite a number of backends, and can be used very easily with
> mutt. If you find an address book program you like, chances are you'll
> be able to get at the data with lbdb.
>
> If you go with abook, mutt can directly query it with patches that are
> included in the debian package -- in that case, you wouldn't need lbdb.

I understood that mutt didn't need any patches to talk to abook - it's
just a setting in the muttrc, and away you go - or is  the "it" in
"directly query it" your palm, and not abook?

lbdb does look nice, tho, for when I actually get my ldap server up and
running :-)

Anyone got any nice pointers to locally serving ldap on a small scale?
Went to the bookshop the other day, and there were maybe 15 published
books from the last 5 years to date with "ldap" in the title!  None by
O'Reilly, either :-(

cheers,
-- jc

--
It may stop, it may not.  And stop calling me "dj".