Re: systemwide fetchmail

Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
hello all!

when i boot up my system, it shows a message that reads - systemwide fetchmail not configured.

well, i will like to setup fetchmail in such a way that at boot up, fetchmail is started in background - (as a daemon?) and then it does fetchmail for users as they log in. or automatically for some specified users.

any suggestions? this seems simple but i am not sure. so this request for help.

thanx

- sandip

The Debian "fetchmail' package default install is to check for the presence of a "/etc/fetchmailrc" config file. If it is present it will start up "systemwide" daemon mode according to the defaults listed in /etc/default/fetchmail.

The only thing you have to do to get what you want is to create the /etc/fetchmailrc file! This file is in the EXACT same format as your ~/.fetchmailrc file in your home directory. The only difference is that the /etc/fetchmailrc file should include ALL the entries from ALL the users that get E-Mail. If you are the only "user" then you could simply copy the working ~/.fetchmailrc from your home directory to /etc/fetchmailrc, or duplicate it there.

All of this is explained in the fetchmail "man" pages. It is tough reading (quite long) but it IS there! There are some good examples of fetchmailrc files near the end. I got mine running by just copying one of those examples to /etc/fetchmailrc and then editing it to put in the proper pop3 mail server, username, and password for my situation.

HINT: Read the "man" pages like you would a telephone book... not a novel! Consider it a list of facts for a "lookup" of a specific piece of information. Man pages become MUCH more friendly when you take this perspective!!

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-