Re: tag lines in mutt?

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 04:09:40PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> here is another thing i will like to have in mutt.
>
> in mozilla, it is called tag line. i have a file that contains tag
> lines i will like to use in my messages.
>
> in every outgoing message, a random tag line is chosen and appended. cool!
>
> can the same be done in mutt? how? i did some reading but could not
> find the solution.

The mutt manual says:

  6.3.205.  signature

  Type: path
  Default: "~/.signature"

  Specifies the filename of your signature, which is appended to all
  outgoing messages.   If the filename ends with a pipe (``|''), it is
  assumed that filename is a shell command and input should be read from
  its stdout.

If you've got a file with lots of signatures, you could for example
separate them with lines containing only a percent sign ('%'), run
'strfile' over them, and then use 'fortune' with some suitable arguments
as the shell command above.

There are also a few different packages in Debian which specialize in
generating random signatures.