Re: Elementary Woody Firewall with DSL.

On 07 Nov 2002 07:55:42 -0600
Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>     "Dan" == Dan Hunt <Dan.Hunt> writes:
>
>     Dan> After basic Woody install, with nothing extra at first.  I
>     Dan> upgrade the Kernel to a stock 2.4.??  and Is there was a way
>     Dan> to install a 2.4 kernel right from the c.d.?
>
> You should be able to do
>
> ~# apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-586tsc
>
> When I used the CD set regularly (potato) I used dselect to find and
> install software, which is an alternative to apt-get, but it has a
> user interface that can be traumatic at first.

Well actually I have started over so many times I enjoy using aptitude.
I'm not exactly proud of the fact that 4 months ago I tried to install Debian without reading the manual, it was part of my education.

After the base install and saying no thanks to adding extra software I run  ~# apt-get install mc  and ~# apt-get install aptitude
I just used aptitude to find the right package that you mentioned above and then install it.

The built in editor in mc caused me some trouble but I love the mc Midnight Commander file manager so much I inadvertently try to fire it up at a dos prompt at my M$ workplace.

What I was hoping for was a way of finishing the base installation with the 2.4 kernel.

Thanks Everyone
Dan Hunt