Problems with /var/lib/dpkg/...

Hello,

I have been trying to install and use Debian on my desktop PC ( P3 667 ).  I
have had Debian working on my server for about 2 years without any problems.

I have encountered a strange problem while setting my desktop PC up.  After
installation, I had problems installing packages.  I keep getting 'parse
errors' while using apt-get.  It complains about the
file /var/lib/dpkg/available - it will give me a line number 'near' the problem
and a bit of text from around there.  Basically what is wrong is the text is
incorrect ... ie there was a '%' instead of an 'e', a '/' instead of an 'l',
etc.  When editing the file by hand with vi (as root), I fixed the text as
appropriate, saved it, but the changes did not get saved.  Upon loading the
file into vi again, the errors were still present as they were before editing
the file.

This is the 3rd time I have encountered this problem, so I don't think it is
just coincidence.  The first two times where from installing from an iso image
I downloaded.  The 3rd (yesterday) was from downloading one of the minimal iso
images & installing the packages from the internet.  The mirror I was and have
always been using is "mirror.direct.ca".  With my latest attempt, I also had
errors with /var/lib/dpkg/status.

The harddrive I am installing this on is an IBM Deskstar (40 gb), which is
about 1.5 years old.

Any help, insight or advice would be greatly apprectiated!!

Thanks!