Re: log

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 06:31:59PM +0100, Emanuele Boieri wrote:
> I just install the a new kernel 2.4.19. But when I rebooted again I
> saw some errors but I couldn't see well because it ran too fast. Is
> there a log file where I can read what happened?  Thanks in advance
> Emanuele

Other people have suggested kern.log and dmesg (which is constantly
updated while running, so Debian helpfully archives it once the boot is
complete so it's not overwritten by later messages), but they're not the
whole story.  Unfortunately (AFAIK) not all boot messages are stored
anywhere aside from the kernel's scroll back buffer.  If you're running
(x|g|k)dm, disable it and use shift-pgup to scroll back to see the
errors.  If it's still overflowing, then boot into single user mode
(type 'linux 1' at the LILO prompt, not sure about GRUB, sorry).  Most
daemons aren't started in run level 1, so you'll hopefully be able to
scroll back and see the messages.

-rob