problem with XFree86 in testing

I upgraded my laptop from stable with a few testing packages to all
testing via an accident with dselect last night. The next time I
booted, I realized that X had broken. Running startx results in a
half-inch flickering band on the left side of the screen, and nothing
at all on the rest of it. I have to use ctrl+alt+backspace to get
back to a prompt. Before the upgrade I was not having any problems
with X.

I've never had X work less than perfectly before, so I haven't any
idea where to start troubleshooting. Any suggestions of things I
ought to try?

It's a Dell Inspiron 5000, with an ATI Rage Mobility P card, using the
laptop's builtin screen only (no external monitor). Also, while I
generally use KDE, I tried starting Enlightenment instead and got the
same results.

--
Caitrin
caitrin@artemista.com