ip_forward - 2 nics

I'm setting up a box in my LAN to act as a transparent Squid proxy
server with squidGuard to filter out porn and other things that the kids
might stumble into.

The box will sit between the router and the clients - like this:

    World

    Router w/ builtin FW (local assigned ip 192.168.10.254)
      |    (gets ISP DHCP ip for WAN and does NAT)

    new proxy server (called sumida - has 2 NICs)

     /\
   clients on a hub

With that background, are these /etc/network/interfaces entries correct
for the proxy server I call 'sumida'?

-------------------------
sumida:/etc/network# more interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# interface to world (cable goes nic to router)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.10.150
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.10.0
        broadcast 192.168.10.255
        gateway 192.168.10.254

# interface to LAN (cable goes nic to hub)
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
        address 10.0.0.254
        netmask 255.0.0.0
        network 10.0.0.0
        broadcast 10.0.0.255

__________________________

It seems conceptually correct to me, yet I continue to wonder whether
eth1 needs a gateway entry.  I guess not though, because when I try to
add one, it doesn't take.

In addition to these entries, I've changed /etc/network/options
ip_forward=yes, and manually executed "echo 1 >
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward".  I haven't done anything with iptables
yet as it's my understanding that with these settings it should forward.

Problem is though, it doesn't forward.  From a client I am able to ping
10.0.0.254 but I am not able to ping an outside, internet address.

What am I missing?  I'm quite prepared to say "duh".  Thanks, Kevin

--

Kevin Coyner
mailto: kevin@rustybear.com