Re: Web site users, and ftp

Ok, I think I might have been beating myself up.

I only have (1) ip address but so far I have got about 5 different pages up, plus 5 different virtual mail domains up, so no problem there.

I changed apache so that it would look at the /home/user*/web_data directory. I moved all web data to the appropriate user accounts. The web pages still work fine now.

I attempted to ftp into one of the user accounts, and I noticed that the files created from ftping into a users directory default to 755 permissions. When they were uploaded to /var/www/web_data, they had 644 permission level which as you know wont present a web page. so wow, this will work great, now the user dosen't have to change permissions on every file they upload.

Now, I am still confused on what is the best way to go about setting default permissions on new files created in directories other than the users home directory. Is this what umask can do? Say I take the example that "Mailing List" wrote, he puts everything into /home/sites/*domainname/ , I see how this works fine if the ftp is chrooted to the approprate domain name directory, but I don't see how he gets around the permissions problem on newly created file when his users upload their web data.
I'm not sure what he means by,
-----

Set the /etc/passwd file to reflect that as user Joes home dir as:
/home/sites/www.domain.com

-----
and I still have never used chroot, but I think I understand that it just changes the users home directory to another directory, but wouldn't this mess with the mail settings for postfix, procmail, and squirrelmail if you change your home directory, or does this only take place when you ftp into the server?

hmm

debuser