Problems with new X 4.2

Compiled v4.2 of X today. 2 problems both solved:
(1) Some source files include <sys/socket.h> but then find themselves
short of certain definitions (SOL_SOCKET for one). Fix: edit source to
include <asm/socket.h> as well. This worked, but why was it necessary?
(2) It assumes that a Debian system has Pam (whoever she is). Mine
doesn't, never has had. Fix: edit config/cf/linux.cf and change
#define HasPam YES to NO.

That's OK. What's not OK is problem still problematical:
When I startx, I get:

xinit: error in loading shared libraries
libXmuu.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
xauth: error in loading shared libraries
libXmuu.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

(with 4 more identical errors from xauth). BUT in /usr/X11R6/lib we
have:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           14 Nov  7 00:46 libXmuu.so ->
libXmuu.so.1.0
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           14 Nov  7 00:46 libXmuu.so.1 ->
libXmuu.so.1.0
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        12789 Nov  7 00:46 libXmuu.so.1.0

And in INSTALL-X.org I find:

On some distributions of Linux the run-time loader is broken --
requiring that the library's internal SONAME match the filename -- and
the
symlink solution won't work. We recommend that you get a new run-time
loader which is not broken or recompile your run-time loader to not
require that the SONAME match.

This is talking about something else, and I don't actually think it's
the problem, but it's the only clue I have. Can anyone point me to a
working run-time loader (if I need one) or tell me how they solved
this, if it happened to them?

Thanks

Pigeon