Re: Thread Stealing (was: Installing debian via network)

Pigeon <jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk> writes:

> I seem to be making a habit of being misunderstood at the moment!
> Sure, Linux lets you do anything you want - that's why I like it - it
> just seemed that the general philosophy was "online all the time".
> That of Windoze seems to be "OK, we'll let you be offline most of the
> time, but we'll keep wanting to go online unexpectedly to do something
> you probably wouldn't want if we told you what it was".

     But most Windows mailers make you read mail on-line, which is an
 abomination.

>                                                         My puzzlement
> was due to Linux apparently having a more resource-hungry philosophy
> on this point, in contradiction to the usual situation. Must be the
> Unix networking heritage.

     Before I was able to use a cable modem, I was on a dialup
connection.  At first, the length of a connection was limited, and my
monthly fee covered a limited number of hours.  I did my best to
prevent installed programs from deciding when I would be online.  I
did not run ppp or my mailer as a daemon (this usually requires
overriding the default setup - usually inserting `exit 0' at the top
of the startup scripts in /etc/init.d.).  The MTA should be configured
to queue all mail, and wait for an explicit `runq' before sending.  I
included runq and mail downloading scripts in the ip-up.d directory.

     You are correct - the default setting for most packages assume
constant internet access, and need to be adjusted for a dialup user.

Regards,

Bob
--
   _