Re: Thread Stealing (was: Installing debian via network)

On 05 Nov 2002 07:55:30 -0600, John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote:

>Pigeon wrote:
>> ...of OE which to me is the single most important feature a mail client
>> can offer: the ability to automatically dial up, send any outgoing mail,
>> receive any incoming mail and immediately hang up.
>
>Am MUA should not do this.  It should just hand the mail to the MTA.
>
>Joshua Lee writes:
>> However, it should be pretty easy to implement a script that would run
>> pon, fetch your mail, and run poff to disconnect once successful though.
>
>Not necessary.  Properly configured, your MTA (e.g. exim) will
>automatically attempt to deliver the message to your ISP's smarthost as
>soon as it receives it from your MUA (e.g. mutt, gnus, etc.).  If pppd is
>configured for demand dialing (use pppconfig) it will immediately dial up
>and the message will be delivered. Then waiting mail will be downloaded and
>handed off to the MTA by fetchmail (if installed) and pppd will shut down
>after a configurable period of inactivity.
>
>A rule of thumb for Linux: When you think "there ought to be a way to do
>this" there usually is.

I seem to be making a habit of being misunderstood at the moment!
Sure, Linux lets you do anything you want - that's why I like it - it
just seemed that the general philosophy was "online all the time".
That of Windoze seems to be "OK, we'll let you be offline most of the
time, but we'll keep wanting to go online unexpectedly to do something
you probably wouldn't want if we told you what it was". My puzzlement
was due to Linux apparently having a more resource-hungry philosophy
on this point, in contradiction to the usual situation. Must be the
Unix networking heritage.

Still, many thanks to the people who posted to this thread. Until
Monday I didn't have a Linux-compatible modem so I had ignored all the
internet side of Linux. Now I'm setting that up. I'm not gonna ask
dumb questions on the list until I've done some more reading, so
thanks for the research hints everyone has dropped.

Pigeon