Re: procmail slow email delivery

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 07:36:37AM -0800, ric@otte.ucsc.edu wrote:
> I have an email account on a separate mail server, and I want to keep
> the mail I get at that account separate from the mail I get directly on
> my Linux machine.  So I use fetchmail to get mail from the mail server,
> then procmail to deliver it to mbox.  After I fetch the mail, it can
> take a very long time, sometimes up to 10 minutes, for it to be
> delivered to mbox.

Perhaps it's sitting in exim's mail queue? exim will only deliver 100
messages at once in the default Debian dialup configuration.

> PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
> MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail             # you'd better make sure it exists
> #DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox          # completely optional
> LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmail.log  # recommended
>
> :0
> *^To:.*otte@cats.ucsc.edu
> mbox
[...]

You should really have some locking here! As it stands, procmail may
corrupt mbox if more than one instance of procmail happens to run
simultaneously. To fix this, change ":0" to ":0:" throughout.

Cheers,