Re: exim mailserver

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 09:42:14AM +0100, Vinai Kopp wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 05:53:19PM -0500, ZZ wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 10:15:29PM +0100, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> > > ZZ wrote:
> >
> > Does exim-tls use port 465 for the ssmtp connections? I port scanned my
> > box and nothing is running on that port, so at this point neither ssl
> > nor authentication is currently working.
> >

> I have been trying to get exim-tls set up the way I want now for a
> couple of weeks. If you use smtps I figure it uses port 465. But I
> want to set it up to use the TLS command, so when clients connect to
> port 25 from an unauthorized host, they can issue a TLS command to
> start an encrypted session.
>

> --
> Vinai
> Registered Linux User #280755, Debian GNU/Linux  http://counter.li.org/
> Secure eMail with gnupg                          http://www.gnupg.org/

OK! Duur, thats what the tls in exim-tls comes from! Ok, so now I get
why nothing is running on 465. I still don't have it working yet,
but I haven't had time to try anything today.

When I do get this working, I'll put together a crude mini-howto thing,
because this is really cool. It blows the minds of windows-types
that I can read my mail over ssl-links via mozilla-mail, which is a
very slick looking client. (but then I don't reply to my mail until
they look the other way, because currently I have to ssh in to use
mutt to reply.)