umount Dead NFS Directory

Hello there,

      I got a problem while trying to umount NFS. I have two web servers,
    one exports its /var/www for NFS share and the other mounts it as its own
    DocumentRoot too, thus I got two web servers with exactly the same
    contents. If the one as NFS server malfunctions, the other NFS
    client should umount its /var/www and link it to the other place.

      Well, how can I umount the NFS client's /var/www while the NFS
    services is not available? I use "-o bg,soft,intr,retry=5,timeo=2"
    as mount arguments and "-f" as umount option. I found that if the
    NFS client's active interface, eth0 here, is down, I can umount
    /var/www after a short time due to NFS error. Otherwise, the console
    is full of messages like "NFS not responding, time out", and it always
    says "/var/www: Device busy" While I try to umount it.

      I wonder what makes this happen, and I think that controlling the
    interface directly to meet my need is a bad idea. Any comment or
    advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chih-An

Anderson-1.0 is now available!