Re: choice of software

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:44:41 -0500
Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net> wrote:

>  >               :game playing
>
>  I've just apt-getted frozen-bubble. It's a neat arcade puzzle-game
>  with great graphics and a sound-track. It is reccomended, along with
>  several other games that are available on Debian apt servers, in an
>  article at freshmeat.net (where nearly anything available for Linux
>  is listed, though sadly they don't link to .deb packages.)

So long as you're not looking for Final Fantasy, there's plenty of
packaged and playable games.

pingus. My favorite for sentimental reasons. It's a clone of Lemmings,
my favorite DOS game (or for that matter, favorite game to run on any
MS platform). The goal is to get as many penguins to dig, bomb, bridge,
etc, their way out of a level.

amphetamine. Not crack, but a (3rd person) game where you run, jump past
obstacles, or exterminate them. As in pingus, there's a bit of puzzle
solving involved, as you try to figure figure out the physics of each
level, such as the precise key combination to jump to a ledge and not
fall off, or the location of the controls to open a gate or trigger an
elevator.

burgerspace. A soundless AFAICT arcade type game where you complete
the layers of a hamburger sandwich while dodging onions and other lethal
veggies.

circuslinux. A noisy but otherwise brainless bounce and pop game. To
paraphrase the package description, you bounce a clown into the air to
pop balloons overhead.

flightgear. A flight simulator game I once tried on my
graphics-handicapped Pentium II. To astoundingly glacial results.

bsdgames. Be amazed by such classic games as hangman, boggle,
backgammon and snake, most of them powered by little more than
state of the art ascii graphics.

And your choice or variant of tetris, mahjohng or solitaire. The Windows
game I miss most is the game that came bundled (yes, that evil word) in
the '95 (?) installation CD. Does anybody know of a Hover clone? (I'm
pretty sure it's a clone itself.)