From: "Edward Guldemond" <thedebategod@yifan.net>
To: "Debian User" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 4:04 PM
Subject: Re: Newbie home network; Debian gateway, XP within.

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 02:34:58PM -0000, Craig Genner wrote:
> To resolve the IE modem prompt you need to tell XP that the connection
will
> be over a LAN, not modem.  This can be done by going to the 'Tools >
> Internet Options' menu in IE, then the Connections tab.  In there click
> 'Never dial a connection'.  Click OK then restart IE.
>
> The rest of the stuff some one else will have to help you with as I've
> always just said 'Do this' and it has done it for me so far.
>
> > On the XP machine the, TCP/IP properties are:
> > IP address 192.168.1.2
> > Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
> > Default gateway 192.168.1.1

Telling XP that it should not dial a connection should help, but the
problem is that the XP machine has no name servers, hence it cannot
resolve host names.  To fix this, tell XP about the DNS servers in the
TCP/IP properties dialog.  If you set up DHCP over your network, with
the Debian machine set as the host, this will automatically get set up.

Happy to help,

Edward Guldemond

Key fingerprint:  29FF 2969 A04E F934 3F03
                  4329 BC56 3AA7 2F57 6735