Newbie home network; Debian gateway, XP within.

In order to utilize a required mechanical CAD system, I must use a
MS-OS (XP in my case).

To continue using my Debian machine, I've decided to attempt making it the
firewall, file server, and print server with "ipmasq" and "samba".

This is my very first network and I'm also unfortunately on a tight
deadline to have the system running. I currently use dial-up (PPPd) but
I will be switching most likely cable for necessary high speed (PPPoE).

I'm running Debian Woody with kernel 2.2.20.  I have the stock 'ipmasq'
package installed and running.  The gateway machine is called, 'debian'
and the internal XP machine will be called 'red_hat'.  I'm certain the
two machines at least talk to one another because I can ping between the
two (using the static IP addresses) and I can also open a telnet session
from the XP machine to the debian gateway.

When I attempt to ping from the XP machine to something other than the
statically assigned IP addresses, their is no name resolution.

Here's the relevant part of /etc/network/interfaces:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.1
network 192.168.1.0
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255

Output from 'ifconfig eth0':
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:09:5B:05:81:31
          inet addr:192.168.1.1  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
	  RX bytes:23327 (22.7 KiB) TX bytes:4286 (4.1 KiB)
	  Interrupt:10 Base address:0x9000

Here's the relevant part of /etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1       debian  localhost
192.168.1.1     debian.my.home debian
192.168.1.2     red_hat.my.home red_hat
0.0.0.0 (username).users.mindspring.com

Here's the relevant part of /etc/resolv.conf:
domain debian
nameserver (w.x.y.z - provided by ISP)
nameserver (a.b.c.d - provided by ISP)

On the XP machine the, TCP/IP properties are:
IP address 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.1.1

I don't think the XP machine understands there is a connection to the
gateway. For instance, when I start IE, a modem dial prompt screen is
presented.  My skills at understanding the proper settings on the XP
machine are also week.

I think getting ipmasq to work is my first priority, then Samba. Looking
forward to any help.

Barry Mathieu