Ctrl-Alt-F7 doesn't work with Intel D845GBV M/B

I have installed the stable version of Woody and am running X.
X can start fine, but if I switch to a console tty, say with Ctrl-Alt-F1,
then I cannot get back to X via Alt-F7 or any other combination.
The monitor "clunks", like it's trying to do something, but the
screen stays black.

I have an Intel D845GBV motherboard with no add-on graphics card.
I checked the Intel site for this motherboard. It mentioned a few things
(none clearly specific to my problem):
(1) configure the bios for an 8MB frame buffer size (the default is 1MB). I did that,
it increased the available resolution of the screen but the problem persists
(2) there is some support for this graphic chip on the latest version Xfree86 (4.2.1?)
That is not the version that ships with Woody. I haven't yet tried to upgrade X.
Has anyone experienced this problem and found a resolution?

Thanks,

Joe Riel