Re: choice of software

> I've had problems running console-based music programs -- starting new
> programs and processes tends to interrupt music output, which I find
> annoying. If you're using a graphical environment, I highly recommend
> xmms -- it's fairly lightweight, there are a number of different panel
> applets that can control it (as well as CLI commands!), and can play
> just about anything.

I wouldn't exactly call it lightweight...

I have both xmms and cplay open right now, and gtop shows xmms at 28MB, and
mpg123 (via cplay) at less than 3MB...

For me this is not a concern, but for someone with, say, 128MB of RAM, if they
are running a desktop environment, an email client, and a few mozilla
windows, 28MB of RAM is suddenly a scarce resource.

-jason pepas