Re: Making a java 1.4.1 deb

----- Original Message -----
From: "mdevin" <mdevin@ozemail.com.au>
To: "Debian-user" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: Making a java 1.4.1 deb

<snip>
>>Yeah, It is a bit dissapointing that you can get rpms  much earlier than
>>debs.
>>
>>It seems as though you are just better installing directly form the Sun
>>site and maintaining it yourself.  I dont' see how using the rpm and
>>Alien really improves from this situation.
>>
>>Cheers.
>>Mark.
Well if you install the package from sun, the debian tools (apt-*;dpkg)
won't know of the existance of the packages. Alienizing them and
using the resulting deb to install will make the system aware of them.
I would use alien to let the system know of them.
Or apt-get install checkinstall
the system