Re: Thread Stealing (was: Installing debian via network)

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 03:55:43PM -0000, Pigeon wrote:
> of OE which to me is the single most important feature a mail client can
> offer: the ability to automatically dial up, send any outgoing mail,
> receive any incoming mail and immediately hang up. This MINIMISES time
> spent CLOCKING UP PHONE CHARGES. Agent seems to assume you're online all
> the time, which is only OK if you're rich. From what little I know,
> Linux seems to work on the same philosohpy, which puzzles me a bit.)

It could be because in the US, local phone is usually flat-rate.
Also, TCP/IP wasn't intended for phone lines, it's oriented towards
an always-on connection. However, it should be pretty easy to implement a
script that would run pon, fetch your mail, and run poff to disconnect
once successful though. Or I think you can tell pppd to disconnect
after a period of inactivity.