Re: Thread Stealing (was: Installing debian via network)

----- Original Message -----
From: Wayne Topa <brittman@capital.net>
Subject: Re: Thread Stealing (was: Installing debian via network)

> Bob Proulx(bob@proulx.com) is reported to have said:
> > Michael Naumann <mnaumann@giga-stream.de> [2002-11-03 16:19:09
+0100]:

> > > I'm not sure I understand what you want to say with this.
> > > Didn't I start a new thread.? Or was there already an equal named
thread ?
> > > I'm quiet new to this list, so maybe I didn't get it.
> >
> > This is not an uncommon confusion.  Can I have your ear for a
moment?
> > Please let me explain.
> >

> Bob
>
>   Very well done!  A gentlemanly reply and a great one at that!!
>
>   A must read for any newbies to the list.
>
>   Wayne
> --
> Windows is a multi-tasking OS: Do one task, reboot, do another task,
reboot...

Thanks from me as well. This stuff is not obvious to those who do not
use a thread-aware mail client. This includes me. I've only just got a
hardware modem and haven't set up Linux for Internet yet. Previously I
was using a GSM modem from Windoze due to the lack of Linux drivers,
which meant Outlook Express as a mail client.

(I did have a brief look at Forte Agent but it seems to lack the feature
of OE which to me is the single most important feature a mail client can
offer: the ability to automatically dial up, send any outgoing mail,
receive any incoming mail and immediately hang up. This MINIMISES time
spent CLOCKING UP PHONE CHARGES. Agent seems to assume you're online all
the time, which is only OK if you're rich. From what little I know,
Linux seems to work on the same philosohpy, which puzzles me a bit.)

In particular the bit about needing to change the References field to
start a new thread is useful. In OE one is unaware of the existence of
such things without doing some unusual messing about, and the messing
about still does not make you aware of their significance.

Pigeon