Cron prob

Hello,

I have a NIS-linked network of systems here. One of them is a webserver, and
I'd like to have cron run a job to automatically back it up daily. So I wrote
the appropriate script, tried it out, etc, and it works fine. I added it to
root's crontab on that machine: 00 23 * * * /root/cron/backup.sh. Backup.sh is
executable for root. Unfortunately, for some reason, cron does not run it at
the right time. In fact, cron doesn't run it at all, no matter what time I
specify. Cron does not work for other users either, and there is no
/etc/cron.allow or cron.deny files on the system. Cron does not send me an
error message email, so I don't know what's going on.

Curiously, the at program works fine. But I don't want to run it once; I want
to run it daily, automatically. I was thinking I could use the /etc/cron.daily
feature, except that the crontab issue is concerning me, and I'd like to fix it
anyway. I've added the script to /etc/cron.daily, but I don't know when cron is
supposed to execute stuff in that folder, so I don't know when to expect it...
By the way, I don't have anacron installed. I think i'm using run-parts instead,
if that makes any sense (yes, I really don't know what I'm talking about).

The reason why I mentioned NIS in the first place is because cron works with
all users on the master NIS server, but doesn't seem to work on the client
machines. So then I was thinking, well maybe NIS has something to do with it.
Except the thing is, crontab doesn't even work for the root user on the other
machines, and the root user is local on all of them.

Does NIS have anything to do with it, anyway? What are the possible causes for
cron not executing the crontab of root (and the other users)? The cron daemon
is running - I checked it.

tia for any and all help!