Re: My first Linux crash

* Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> [04-11-2002 13:28]:
> > I was able to mount the cdrom and use tab-completion to get to the
> > directory on the cdrom using cp. However after entering, the system
> > crashed (leds on keyboard flashing, hard boot required).

> What kind of mobo & chipset do you have?  A couple of years ago,
> there were occasional issues with copying large (100MB+) files
> on Athlon+VIA systems.  (My vt82c686b board is supposed to be afflicted,
> but I've never had the problem.)

I do have an Athlon+VIA system. It's a relatively new KT333 mobo.

Do you mean that this combination of hardware would not recover
gracefully from i/o-errors or that copying of large files is
problematic no matter what.

After cleaning the disc, I was able to transfer the files.

I think this situation would have resulted in a BSOD on Windows.
After that it might have been possible to continue operation with a
cleaned/reinserted disc.

I was surprised that this issue took down the system on Linux.
I understand, as nate explained, that hardware errors will always
result in trouble but I expected the kernel to react differently.
(Or is this a limitation of x86 or the issue you mention?)

Perhaps using a cdrom is not a good idea on a production system.
Thankfully the crash happened on my desktop which is the least
critical of all my systems.

Is it recommended procedure to transfer files over the network
instead of using a cdrom/cdrw drive for critical systems?

Bob