My first Linux crash

Tonight I tried to copy the contents of a cdrom to a local
filesytem as root.

I was able to mount the cdrom and use tab-completion to get to the
directory on the cdrom using cp. However after entering, the system
crashed (leds on keyboard flashing, hard boot required).

After booting I took out the cdrom, cleaned it and tried again. No
problems this time.

Is there anything I can do, to avoid this in the future? If an
ordinary user had issued the command, would the result be the same?

It's not really a very big issue, but I was amazed to see this
happen?

Bob