From: Emanuele Boieri [mailto:sboierone@tiscalinet.it]
Sent: 04 November 2002 13:13
To: debian
Subject: Compiling a new kernel

Hi everybody I hope that somenone can help me. I just followed precisely the instruction for compiling/installing a new kernel  (2.4.19). The previeous version was 2.2.
  1. tar xvjf "the kernel source"
  2. make menuconfig
  3. make dep
  4. make bzImage
  5. make modules
  6. make modules_install
then I copied the new image in the boot location of the old one /boot/bzImage.(I saved the old one). So I edit the lilo.conf and I specified where to load the new image. After rebooting (everything seemed to go fine) I launched the "kernelversion" command but the answer was 2.2!!! What happened??
I want to precise that I've been using for one month and that I'm a very new user!

Thanks in advance to everyone with a good solution
Emanuele