Re: My first Linux crash

On 03/11/02 nate did speaketh:

> it is not unusual, I have seen this happen on many operaitng systems
> especially with CD-R media. the result would of been the same if
> you were not root. Probably the system filled with I/O errors and
> couldn't continue. The software has only limited resources to
> prevent a hardware related crash

    Would not desirable behaviour be to log as many errors as possible, but
recover from the hardware problem? I see no reason why any software, user
space or kernel space, should crash due to errors in a peripheral. Bad RAM is
one thing, but errors on a CD? I disagree. This is incorrect behavour for any
OS.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix