Re: apt/dpkg bug problem

>  from:    Rob Weir <rweir@softhome.net>
>  date:    Sun, 03 Nov 2002 13:39:04
>  to:      debian-user@lists.debian.org
>  subject: Re: apt/dpkg bug problem
>
> On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:12:19PM  0000,
> dave.stinchcombe@btopenworld.com wrote:
> > apt version 0.5.4 i386 dpkg version 1.9.21 kernel 2.2.20-idepci#1
> > libc-2.2.5-so Machine: Cpu Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz; Motherboard Columbia;
> > Ram 256MB.
> >

> > Hi, Forgive my newbie problems (I did install debian some six years
> > ago, but havn't needed to do anything to it, so I'm a newbie again). I
> > seem to have run into the same problem on two seperate occasions. I
> > can't figure it out, but here's some info so you can at least tell me
> > where to look. Please.
> >
> > On the first occasion when running "apt-get install locales" I'm faced
> > with a screen of which locales I want to install. However nothing I do
> > allows me to move on. The options are changed by moving the cursor
> > keys to the appropriate place and pressing the space bar.
> >
> > I then tried to configure X, with  "dpkg-reconfigure", as I didn't
> > configure X during installation. I'm using an LCD screen. I eventually
> > got to a screen requesting usable resolutions. This screen works by
> > moving the cursor up and down, and using the space bar to make a
> > selection. This screen also did not allow me to move on.
>
> Stupid question: you did hit <tab> to move on to the 'ok' or 'next' or
> whatever button, right?
>
> -rob

Thankyou, that does the trick.
I was getting panicked. There is a posting on comp.os.linux.setup in which the author describes the same problem. I wrote to her, and she had given up on debian, as she couldn't get past this hurdle. I may be new but I'm not stupid. Is it possible for the help/key binding screen to be available at each stage? Or even a simple "Tab to finish" visible while in the selection mode, would do the trick.

Now I've just this problem with X ...

Yours
Dave