Re: Kernel Panic | boot | Unable to mount root fs | Reiser FS

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 03:11:57PM +0100, Mariano Kamp wrote:
>   a couple of hours ago I used to have a SuSE 8.1, Kernel 2.4.18, system
> with an ide and scsi drive. The system used to boot from the scsi drive.
>
>   During this morning I wanted to _upgrade_ the system to debian.
> Therefore I started the woody installation from cdrom and partitioned
> the hd with the provided tool from the installation menu.
>
>   I created three primary partitions:
>
>         * /dev/sda1     8 MB, Type Linux
>         * /dev/sda2   512 MB, Type Swap
>         * /dev/sda3    17 GB, Type Linux
>
>   I initialized /dev/sda2 as swap, /dev/sda1 as ext3 and /dev/sda3 as
> reiserfs.
>
>   /dev/sda3 has been mounted as "/".

Does your kernel have reiserfs support compiled into it ( not module)?
You can check in /boot/config-$KERNEL

>   [ ... loads of installation details omitted ... ]
>
>   The last step before rebooting was to make the system bootable. I
> selected
>
>         A. to boot from /dev/sda1
>         B. to boot from /dev/sda3
>
>   I repeated the steps a couple of times and can't remember each step
> exactly, but I've been asked to confirm that having an IDE and SCSI
> drive can result in not beeing able to boot from the SCSI drive. I don't
> believe that this is the problem though as it is working fine with the
>
>   No matter if I used A or B when booting the machine it says "L " and
> then adds "01 " constantly. No LILO, no nothing.

Exerpt from /usr/share/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz

  LILO start message
  - - - - - - - - -

  [...]
  L <error> ...  The first stage boot loader has been loaded and
  started, but it can't load the second stage boot loader. The two-digit
  error codes indicate the type of problem. (See also section "Disk
  error codes".) This condition usually indicates a media failure or a
  geometry mismatch (e.g. bad disk parameters, see section "Disk
  geometry").
  [...]

  Disk error codes
  - - - - - - - -

  If the BIOS signals an error when LILO is trying to load a boot image,
  the respective error code is displayed. The following BIOS error codes
  are known:
  [...]
  0x01  "Illegal command". This shouldn't happen, but if it does, it may
  indicate an attempt to access a disk which is not supported by the
  BIOS. See also "Warning: BIOS drive 0x<number> may not be accessible"
  in section "Warnings".

>   Using the CDROM to boot the system and issuing the following commands
> at the lilo prompt
>
>         A. rescue boot=/dev/sda
>         B. rescue boot=/dev/sda1
>         C. rescue boot=/dev/sda3
>
>   Linux comes up, but panics. The last lines read like this:
>
> 	[network stuff]
> 	Partition check:
> 	 hda: [PTBL] [2433/255/63] hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 >
> 	[ apm stuff ]
> 	request_module[block-major-58]: Root fs not mounted
> 	VFS: Cannot open root device 3a:05
> 	Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 3a:05
>
>   Any ideas?

Other than my question of "What happened to /dev/sda"? The major block
device number 58 is "Reserved for logical volume manager" (devices.txt)
3a:05 would seem to correspond to LVM.

Reiser and EXT3 are compiled as modules with the Debian kernel that I
have here (2.4.19-586tsc). Your rootfs cannot be compiled as a module.
For your system to boot, you need to use a different kernel, or set your
root partition to a filesystem with compiled in support (such as EXT2).

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com