package installation halts

Hi,
I'm trying to install debian 3.0 with a DVD rom onto an Intel based pc. It's a dual boot machine with all the linux partitions inside an extended partition (except SWAP which is on it's own little partition). I've given /var plenty of space (about 4Gb), and so the installation has a fair bit of space to play with.

I've got a bootable operating system. When running Task Installer the list of packages is created, a couple of the packages get configured (I've tried different sets of packages to see if that makes a difference). Every time I do this the process halts at the "Configure Locate" screen. The only way to move on seems to be to type <ctrl> C. This system tries to restart the install/configure of packages, but only moves on to configure the mail server, and then finishes.

Can any one help? Am I missing a simple trick? I do not have access to an ethernet connection, and so I'm reliant upon purchased discs.

Yours
Dave