Re: Force dpkg to install newer package

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:37:27PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 10:19:58AM +0100, Marcel Lemmen wrote:
> > I found a problem with the unstable libc6 version and Mozilla (I'll
> > send another e-mail when this has been solved...). Therefor I've
> > downgraded libdb1-compat and libc6 and Mozilla worked fine
> > again.

Um. I bet you had to force this, right?

> > Now other programs won't work anymore, I'll get the following
> > message:
>
> Try using apt-get -f install

-f isn't a cure-all. It has a very specific meaning:

       -f

       --fix-broken
              Fix; attempt to correct a system with  broken  dependen-
              cies   in   place.   This   option,   when   used   with
              install/remove, can omit any packages to permit  APT  to
              deduce  a likely soltion. Any Package that are specified
              must completly correct the problem. The option is  some-
              times necessary when running APT for the first time; APT
              itself does not allow  broken  package  dependencies  to
              exist on a system. It is possible that a system's depen-
              dency structure can be so corrupt as to  require  manual
              intervention  (which  usually  means using dselect(8) or
              dpkg --remove to eliminate some of the  offending  pack-
              ages).  Use  of this option together with -m may produce
              an  error  in  some  situations.   Configuration   Item:
              APT::Get::Fix-Broken.

You'll need to get a tar binary that works with the stable libc6
instead. I've put /bin/tar from 1.13.25-2 (woody/i386) here:

  http://people.debian.org/~cjwatson/tar

Download that, move it to /bin/tar, reinstall the tar package from woody
so that everything is consistent, and continue. If you want to be
careful, the md5sum of that binary is:

  $ md5sum /bin/tar
  de7b59b9f2c5a369b9adecbeeff9d44d  /bin/tar

... and somebody else with tar 1.13.25-2 should be able to confirm that.