autodns-dhcp

Hi there guru's! :-)

I have switched from Suse & Redhat linux to Debian, and have to say that I
love it!

I have not learnt so much about Linux until I started with Debian, and I
cannot stop - it's great (gotta love apt-get!).

Anyway, this message does actually have a point to it.
I have a home network consisting of 2 Debian servers, 2 Linux workstations,
and 5 Windows workstations .. I currently use dhcp to provide ip addresses
to my clients.

I am using a Debian box as a dial-up router, and all works well, apart from
getting unwanted dial-outs at random intervals when Bind tries to update it
records..

My question is two-fold:

1. How can I get Bind to stop requesting updates all the time, so that I can
control the dial-outs?
2. Would I gain any benefit to using autodns-dhcp .. some of the dialouts
are to resolve internal name..

My internal domain is "wimbledon" .. each machine is named after a Womble
(:-) .. orinoco, tomsk, wellington etc. etc.
I have Bind set up so that I can issue a:

orinoco:/etc/bind# dig orinoco.wimbledon

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> orinoco.wimbledon
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;orinoco.wimbledon.             IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
orinoco.wimbledon.      604800  IN      A       192.168.0.1

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
wimbledon.              604800  IN      NS      ns.wimbledon.

;; Query time: 55 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.0.1#53(192.168.0.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Oct 31 15:39:15 2002
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 68

The returned output is correct .. however, if I issue:

orinoco:/etc/bind# dig orinoco

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> orinoco
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;orinoco.                       IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       8893    IN      SOA     A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
NSTLD.VERISIGN-GRS.COM. 2002103100 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 5 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.0.1#53(192.168.0.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Oct 31 15:39:48 2002
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 100

It doesn't recognise the name ... my /etc/hosts files looks like this:

orinoco:/etc/bind# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.1     orinoco.wimbledon orinoco
192.168.0.2     router.wimbledon router

# (added automatically by netbase upgrade)

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

What am I missing!!! - would running autodns-dhcp solve my problems?

Cheers,

Pete.