Re: mpg321 on ntfs

begin  Leonardo Canducci quote on Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:20:17PM +0100:
> I tried using strace, and I think this could be the error. from ntfs I
> get:
> old_mmap(NULL, 1034240, PROT_READ, MAP_SHARED, 5, 0) = -1 ENODEV (No
> such device)
> when playing the same file from ext3 I get:
> old_mmap(NULL, 1034240, PROT_READ, MAP_SHARED, 5, 0) = 0x40258000
>
> Anybody experienced the same problem? Can somebody - with a ntfs
> partition - test this?
> Any hints?

The version of the NTFS driver that you are using doesn't support mmaped
files.  Since NTFS support is currently sketchy at best, this doesn't
suprise me much.  Newer kernel versions _might_ fix it, or might not.
You may want to look around for Linux NTFS driver specific
changelog/notes... there may be a patch that makes it work.

If not, you'll need to move your MP3's to another filesystem that does
support mmap if you want to use mpg321, or keep using XMMS.