Re: any suggestions on mail client?

* Sandip P Deshmukh <deshmukh@escortsmumbai.com> [2002-10-30 13:07:51 +0530]:
> after shifting from windows to linux, i am trying to see which mail
> program can i use.

Mutt (along with procmail) can do all of the things you describes. However,
I am bit confused about "address completion":

> have facility of address completion: so when i start typing 'sandip' - the
> real name, it picks up corresponding e-mail address

I'm almost certain you are describing aliases, but could you elaborate on
this functionality to be sure?

> have some automation built in: messages from a particular sender go to a
> particular folder, etc
>
> is it better to separate this function from mail reader and use, say,
> procmail instead?

Yes. Separating mail into different folders should almost always be handled
at the MDA level.

> have ability of address books with custom fields and ability to
> import csv format address books

Not directliy, you can whip up a quick script to to do this.

> is it better to seperate address book from mail program?

If you have a good reason to do so. Some people have a common file from
which they generate address books for their mail client, PDA, etc.

--
N. Thomas
nthomas@cise.ufl.edu