Audio CD playing problem solved

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 07:27:31PM +0100, Christian Mascher wrote:
> John Keniry wrote:
> > Some versions of Windows play the CD by reading the data through the
> > IDE channel, rather than using the soundcard->CDrom cable. I don't
> > know whether this is true of Win98 but you could check the cable is
> > connected.
>
> Interesting. You did make me open my computer to have a look, as I
> wasn't that sure myself ;-)
>
> The cable is connected though.

John was actually close to the solution. Everything else was working
fine, I could hear sound (when not coming from cd), set the volume with
aumix, even listen while cdda2wav read my audio-cd (option -e). So I
reckoned it could still be the cable.

I wanted to test it without cable in Win98: This has the same effect:
you can see the tracks, it plays at your command, but no sound without
cable. Then I saw there were 3 sockets on the sound-card, cable was in
the middle one. Windows doesn't mind, but Linux uses only one of them.

> Elimar Riesebieter <riesebie@lxtec.de> suggested:
> > Make sure you're member of groups audio and cdrom.
>
> Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> wrote
> > It sounds like your mixer settings are too low, if everything is really
> > quiet.  Try `apt-cache search mixer` to see a list of available mixers,
> > so you can raise and lower volume settings.  I use aumixer, but YMMV.

Thanks for the other hints as well.

Christian